Guangzhou>Expat Services>Visa

Passenger Customs Declaration and Clearance

( : 2017-02-20

Luggage and goods carried by inbound and outbound passengers should be for personal use only and in a reasonable quantity and should be declared as actual personal items to Customs and subjected to inspection by Customs officials.

An inbound passenger may carry up to RMB 2,000 (inclusive) worth of articles for personal use in China without customs duties. Items of the same category carried by an inbound passenger should be for personal use inly and in a reasonable quantity; however, tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, and the 20 types of goods subject to customs duties will be levied according to the relevant regulations.

If the articles carried by an inbound passenger for personal use are worth more than RMB 2,000, the Customs will only levy the excess part. For a single article which cannot be divided, fully levy will apply.

Duties on inbound and outbound goods are to be determined by the Customs according to the law.

An inbound passenger may carry 400 cigarettes, 100 cigars or 500 grams of tobacco and two bottles of alcoholic beverage (of higher than 12 percent alcohol and less than 1.5 liters) free of duty.

Each inbound passenger may carry a camera, a portable tape recorder, a small movie camera, a portable video camera, and a portable word processor for personal use. If exceeding the pre0stated scope, he or she should make a declaration to the Customs officials present.

Inbound and outbound passengers carrying more than RMB20,000 in cash or more than $5,000 in cash or an equivalent amount in other foreign currencies, or who are carrying more than 50 grams of gold or silver and or their related products should a declaration to the Customs officials. For foreign passengers who undertake multiple trips to and from Hong Kong or Macao over a period of 15 days and for persons undertaking frequent inbound and outbound trips, the Customs officials will only release articles they need for their journey.

Inbound and outbound passengers holding a diplomatic or courtesy visa granted by the competent authority of the Government of the People’s Republic of China, and who are exempt from inspection, are not required to fill out the declaration form; however, they should show their valid identity papers to the Customs officials so that Customs can exempt them from inspection,

A passenger may not carry more than RMB 150 worth of Chinese medical materials and prepared Chinese medicines if bound for Hong Kong or Macao and not more than RMB 300 if bound for a foreign country.

Long-term visitors (those approved to stay in or outside China for one year or longer) may import and export articles for personal use according to the procedures set forth in the Provisions of the Customs of the People’s Republic of China on the Importation and Exportation of Articles for Personal Use by Non-Resident Long-Term Visitors. To bring articles for personal use into China, a visitor should file a written application with the competent Customs Office in person or through his or her appointed Customs Declaration Agency, and the application should be supported by the following documents:

1. Identity papers;

2. Long-term residence permit;

3. Completed Application Forms of the Customs Office of the People’s Republic of China for Importation and Exportation of Articles for Personal Use;

4. Bill of lading (waybill), packing list and other required documents

Customs levies duties on dutiable articles imported by non-resident, long-term visitors that are designated for personal use in accordance with the Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Import and Export Duties.

The Customs Office does not levy duties on articles which are imported by long-term, non-resident visitors for personal use and which are exempted from duty under intergovernmental protocols. (For more information, please visit the China Customs website)

Domestic articles of a reasonable quantity which are imported into China by staff members of foreign consulates, the United Nations and its affiliations, and representative offices of international organizations in China, as well as by their family members, are exempt from duty and inspection. The import duty can be exempted for the books and teaching and scientific research materials imported in a reasonable amount by talented abroad students and foreign technological specialists for self use and accredited by the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security of the People’s Republic of China (MOHRSS), the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China or relevant authorized institutions.

For regulations and procedures, please contact:

Tel: 8620-12360

Guangzhou Customs

Address: 83 Huacheng Avenue, Zhujiang New Town, Guangzhou

Huangpu Customs

Address: 36 Baojin Road, Guangzhou Bonded Zone